I run a firm with 6 employees and have a new employee coming in later this week. I need ideas to break the ice between effectively and quickly. please suggest some ideas, we like quirky ideas too
There are a couple of ways in which you can motivate a new employee. One of the most important thing every person who is joining your team expects is inclusion.
There are a couple of ways to do this:
- Send details about reaching the office and other things that they should know before they reach their office
- When they arrive at your office on the first day, make sure you welcome them with smile
- Have everything ready for them at their desk (prefer decorating their place with things like balloons which says “I’m new here. Come say hi!”
- Be ready to spend as much time as possible with them during the first week
- Take them to a good lunch with the entire team
- They will look up to you. Be what you want them to be, but better
While these are some of the things you need to take care of during their first week, here’s an incredible thread that Ben Gruber posted when I asked about their hiring process at Eventbrite:
One of the biggest motivators for anyone new to celebrate their wins:
- Make sure everyone knows the wins the new team member and try to celebrate them
- Every new person joining the company needs directions. They need to be consistently aligned towards the company’s vision.
- Create a pleasant workplace for them; make sure their computers and desks are set; have a induction kit for them when they arrive;
This goes deeper than what I’m trying to cover here as well. One more major factor that can help here is also the way the entire company welcomes a new employee; and the company responding to a new hire, is directly dependent on the way your company culture is structured and aligned;
This is where employee engagement comes into picture as well.