I am a first-time manager. What questions should I ask during my first one-on-one?

first-time
one-on-one

As a first-time manager, it is difficult to run a one-on-one. The uncertainty of what my repartee would think is so high right now, and I wanted to get some help on the best questions that I can ask during a one-on-one meeting.

Here are some of the questions I have curated already. These are general and a pool of such questions would help me a lot:

1. Do you have anything to talk about?
  2. For the issues you mentioned, what solutions do you think would be a home-run for you?
  3. How do you think I can do better as a manager?
  4. What are your biggest time wasters in your everyday work?
  5. What is the one thing that annoys you the most in the team?
  6. Where do you think you can improve? Can we track some metrics around it?
  7. Do you have all the resources to work on the project comfortably?

More to come. It would be great if you can help me here. The scenario here is not just to get feedback from my peers about me, but to know how they feel working with me. These one-on-one happens every month.

Cheers.

How to have the most effective one-on-ones

This is great! Here are a few other things you could add to your list,

1. Do you have a best friend at work?
  2. If you face any issues at work do you talk to someone at work about it?
  3. Are we living true to our principles?
  4. Do you have a clear idea of what you should work on?

Much needed at the moment for a lot of us. You can also check this thread as a starter. We have some interesting replies there!

As a contribution from my side I stumbled across some questions on support and growth:

1. What are your goals for the next 3 months and how can the management help you with it?
  2. What is your take on the feedback? Are they being listened and taken seriously? how are they helping you and the company grow?
  3. On a gloomy day, what would cheer you up instantly?
  4. Do you have feedback that needs to be passed on to the team and management ? It can be anything from the lack of food in the pantry to the poor appraisals! (Bold, but works)
  5. If you can start a new process in the organisation, what will it be? why?