These four questions will help you start a good One-on-One

One of the key aspects of starting a One-on-One is to start the conversation right. People generally have a weird feeling during One-on-One’s, especially when talking about their growth.

Driving conversations by asking the right question is crucial.

The questions you ask will tell you how they feel about the company & work.

Below are the four important question that kicks-off the best One-on-One.

1. Paul, what’s on your mind? - Gives you an idea about what they’re expecting from the meeting or the company.
  2. What would you like to start with? - Sets the context of the meeting.
  3. So, what’s going on? - Breaks down the issues they’re facing with other people.
  4. How’s it going? - Lets people talk about the issues you were not aware of.

These questions have worked for a ton of companies to start a good One-on-One. Setting the agenda right for these meetings are important.

Let us know how it went for you. Or if you think we’re missing something out, mind sharing your thoughts?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://understandbetter.co/blog/these-four-questions-will-help-you-start-a-good-one-on-one/

Here are some questions that I like to use in one on ones, to probe for depth. Sometimes, unless there’s a deep and trusting relationship between the two people, most open ended questions don’t surface struggles or negative feedback. I also recommend all one on ones be 45 minutes or longer, because 20+ minutes are spent gaining context, giving updates, and getting into the rhythm of the conversation; 25 minutes is usually where issues begin to come up.

1. What has been your highest high? Lowest low? What are your big learnings?
  2. In the coming week, what will be your big success? Biggest struggle? What support will you need?
  3. What is your vision for your role? What do you want to learn and how do you plan to learn it?

Hope this helps! I think my best one on ones have helped me both zoom in and out, and left both people with a sense of having learned something new.

That is really amazing. The timings that you have mentioned actually makes a lot of sense, given 30 minutes one-on-ones have not been much effective.

Will try this out for the next one-on-one. :100:

One of the best one-on-one time breakdown I’ve learnt so far. Thanks for this @Meghana_Srinivas